Phần mở đầu
Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C, or D) that needs correcting. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ được gạch dưới (A, B, C hoặc D) cần phải điều chỉnh lại cho đúng).
1) Great circle (A) routes, the shortest (B) courses between two points on the surface of a sphere, are routine (C) used by international (D) air traffic to save time.
2) By studying (A) an animal in the wild (B), scientists (C) can learn a lot about the animal without changing their (D) natural behaviour.
3) Deeply (A) beneath the ocean waves, there are mountain (B) ranges, deep (C) trenches, and vast open (D) plains covering as much as two-thirds of the Earth’s surface.
4) In 1891, Dr. James Naismith invented the game (A) of basketball as a means of keeping (B) boys actively (C) indoors during (D) the winter.
5) Male (A) birds of many (B) species are more colours (C) than the females, who usually look after the chicks and therefore need to be more inconspicuos (D).
6) Drilling (A) for oil from off-shore (B) platforms can be costly (C) and dangerously (D).
7) When you exercise, you breathe faster (A) and more deep (B), moving (C) up to six times as much air into your lungs as when you are sitting (D) still.
8) The (A) colours in fireworks are produced by difference (B) chemical such as magnesium, copper (C) salts, strontium (D) nitrate, and charcoal.
9) Philadelphia grew steady (A) during (B) the Colonial period, and by the time (C) of the American revolution, it was the second largest (D) city in the British Empire.
10) Big (A), red (B), and round, the balloons hung in the air like enormous (C) oversized (D) apples.
11) They were also (A) said to be looking (B) at evidence of alike (C) schemes (D) at National Bank.
12) He is a greedily (A) troublemaker (B) who is always doing (C) something he was told not to do or poking (D) his nose where it doesn’t belong.
13) Because (A) Coyote hunts bad (B), he dicides to team up with Eagle, who is an excellent (C) hunter (D).
14) We enjoy (A) watching (B) him outsmart (C) his powerfully (D) opponents.
15) Some people think that stealing (A) is not wrong (B) if it is done (C) for a well (D) reason.
16) William danced very (A) good (B) in the contest, but Michael danced even (C) better (D).
17) The applicants (A) for low-interest (B) loans hoped to buy decent (C) built (D) houses for their families.
Choose the word, phrase, or clause (A, B, C, or D) that best fits the blank space in the sentence. (Hãy chọn từ, cụm từ hoặc mệnh đề A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp nhất cho khoảng trống của câu).
18) Grandfather is … today, but he felt even … yesterday.
|A. good/ the best||B. well/ the best|
|C. well / better||D. good/ better|
19) David did … on the first three tests of the term, but his performance on the final test was … of all.
|A. bad / the worst||B. badly / worse|
|C. badly / the worst||D. bad / worse|
20) Most young geese leave their nests at an early age, and young snow geese are … exception.
|A. none||B. not|
|C. no||D. never|
21) … all the books written by Isaac Asimov were science fiction; some were nonfiction works on science, technology, and other subjects.
|A. Neither||B. No|
|C. Not||D. None|
22) Centuries of erosion have exposed … rock surfaces in the Painted Desert of northern Arizona.
|A. coloured like a rainbow||B. rainbow-coloured|
|C. a rainbow’s colouring||D. in colours like the rainbow|
23) William plays the guitar … and the mandolin not …
|A. well / badly||B. good / badly|
|C. well / bad||D. good / bad|
24) He ran … in his first race, but in the second race he did … better.
|A. bad/ much||B. bad / many|
|C. badly / much||D. badly / many|
25) The … decorated purse that David knitted is … fraying around the edges.
|A. carefully / quickly||B. careful / quickly|
|C. carefully/ quick||D. careful / quick|
Choose the correct sentence (Hãy chọn câu đúng)
|26)||A. He did the job good.|
|B. He did a well job.|
|C. He is a real person.|
|D. He is a really person.|
|27)||A. The children are already for the picnic.|
|B. The children are all ready for the picnic.|
|C. She all ready cashed her paycheck.|
|D. The train had all ready left when we got to the station.|
|28)||A. The ginger ice cream tasted good.|
|B. He did well on yesterday’s exam.|
|C. He did good on yesterday’s exam.|
|D. A and B|
|29)||A. He is surely of himself.|
|B. He is sure confident of his abilities.|
|C. He is sure of himself.|
|D. A and B.|
|30)||A. I feel bad about the delay.|
|B. It doesn’t hurt very bad.|
|C. He plays good.|
|D. I feel badly about the delay.|