Phần mở đầu
Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ được gạch dưới A, B, C hoặc D cần phải điều chỉnh lại cho đúng).
1) You must either (A) leave for (B) the movies immediately nor (C) forget about (D) going.
2) This hair dryer dries (A) my hair quickly (B) and (C) weighs too much (D).
3) Dorothy could not find (A) my house, or (B) she called to ask (C) for (D) directions.
4) She enjoy either (A) rap music and classical music; however (B), she doesn’t like (C) country or (D) reggae.
5) Whether you stay (A) at home and (B) come with (C) me, I’m going to (D) the party.
6) William has so (A) organized (B) his life but (C) his wife suspects nothing (D).
7) William not only (A) took (B) three showers a day and (C) washed (D) his clothes twice.
8) Michael and (A) his brother was indicted yesterday (B) on (C) charges of grand (D) theft.
9) My brother never (A) attended the military parades (B) in the city, but (C) he hated (D) war.
10) Dorothy brought (A) her wallet (B) and (C) forgot (D) her checkbook.
11) All (A) root vegetables grow (B) underground, and (C) not all all vegetables that (D) grow underground are roots.
Choose the word or phrase (A, B, C, or D) that best fits the blank space in the sentence. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ (A, B, C hoặc D) thích hợp nhất cho khoảng trống của câu).
12) …… his real efforts, he failed to get the contract.
|A/ In spite of||B/ Although|
|C/ Though||D/ B or C|
13) Drills are tools that are used either to cut ….. enlarge holes in hard materials.
|A/ nor||B/ to|
|C/ or||D/ otherwise|
14) Many of the settlers had never farmed before, ……were they ready for the brutal Colorado winters.
|A/ but||B/ and|
|C/ or||D/ nor|
15) He has ……….. friends nor relatives to help him.
|A/ either||B/ both|
|C/ not||D/ neither|
16) The concert went on ……. the lead singer was sick.
|A/ despite||B/ although|
|C/ and||D/ nor|
17) …….. the coach nor the players were indicted.
|A/ Either||B/ Neither|
|C/ Both||D/ Whether|
18) She said that she would pay, ….. she didn’t.
|A/ yet||B/ and|
|C/ moreover||D/ so|
19) This meeting lacks a quorum; ………, they will adjourn it until next week.
|A/ yet||B/ so|
|C/ therefore||D/ and|
20) His car broke down; …….., he had to walk home.
|A/ however||B/ consequently|
|C/ moreover||D/ nevertheless|
21) The discovery of gold in California created the gold rush; ……., the discovery of oil in Alaska created the oil rush.
|A/ similarly||B/ however|
|C/ in addition||D/ for example|
22) A college education may lead to a well-paying job, ……. it cannot guarantee success.
|A/ therefore||B/ furthermore|
|C/ and||D/ but|
23) I stopped to visit my grandfather on my way to Texas; ……., I stayed with may friends in Dallas.
|A/ for instance||B/ for example|
|C/ afterwards||D/ but|
24) I would like to buy a new house, ………. I will settle for an old one.
|A/ therefore||B/ but|
|C/ besides||D/ however|
25) They enjoy Mr. Brown’s classes ……. he respects all his student.
|A/ because||B/ unless|
|C/ although||D/ though|
26) …….. John ……… David are working in her bank.
|A. Either / or||B. Neither / nor|
|C. Both / and||D. Whether / or|
27) He enjoys all kinds of sports; ……….., he loves to play football.
|A/ for example||B/ besides|
|C/ in contrast||D/ nonetheless|
28) …….. 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered by ocean, only about 20% of the Earth’s species live there.
|A/ There is||B/ In spite of|
|C/ Although||D/ Even|
29) You must pay your income tax on time; ……., you will be punished.
|A/ likewise||B/ furthermore|
|C/ moreover||D/ otherwise|
30) He lacks money to invest in improving his tools; ….., he is poor.
|A/ instead||B/ therefore|
|C/ similarly||D/ in addition|