Phần mở đầu
In this section you must choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence. For each question, 1 to 20, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
1) He’s very clever at … his friends.
|A/ arranging||B/ monitoring||C/ imitating||D/ operating|
2) The old coins have been … from circulation.
|A/ expired||B/ withdrawn||C/ retired||D/ restricted|
3) I am … of listening to your camplaints.
|A/ tired||B/ uninterested||C/ bored||D/ disappointed|
4) Following the national news, we have the … news and weather.
|A/ neighbourhood||B/ regional||C/ partial||D/ local|
5) They are going to … that slum district to build several apartment buildings.
|A/ shower||B/ demolish||C/ Ambush||D/ transfer|
6) I think that she is … for the job
|A/ offered||B/ applied||C/ qualified||D/ refused|
7) A lot of fuss was … of the play but it wasn’t a success.
|A/ tried||B/ done||C/ performed||D/ made|
8) They walked because they couldn’t … to take a taxi.
|A/ afford||B/ rent||C/ pay||D/ realise|
9) Some large cities have to … cars from the city centre because of pollution problems.
|A/ explore||B/ concentrate||C/ reject||D/ ban|
10) The interview is … to this magazine.
|A/ privileged||B/ specialized||C/ exclusive||D/ worthy|
11) He doesn’t like such subjects … here.
|A/ discuss||B/ discussed||C/ to discuss||D/ discussing|
12) It is imperative that he … here at 8 a.m tomorrow.
|A/ comes||B/ will come||C/ come||D/ would be|
13) The man … we spoke is a doctor.
|A/ who||B/ whom||C/ for whom||D/ to whom|
14) Not only … to take the medicine, he also hit the nurse.
|A/ he refused||B/ did he refuse||C/ he was refused||D/ does he refuse|
15) I’ll … John repair your motorbike soon.
|A/ ask||B/ have||C/ hire||D/ tell|
16) Neither my sister nor I … going to the party tomorrow.
|A/ are||B/ is||C/ am||D/ won’t be|
17) The use of credit cards in place of cash … rapidly in recent years.
|A/ were increasing||B/ are increasing|
|C/ have increased||D/ has increased|
18) By the end of this year my father … in this company for 10 year.
|A/ will work||C/ has been working|
|B/ will have been working||D/ Both B and C are correct|
19) During last summer we … up early and go for a swim.
|A/ are used to getting||C/ were used to get|
|B/ used to get||D/ were used to getting|
20) Her husband is … she is.
|A/ twice as old as||C/ twice more age than|
|B/ twice older than||D/ two times of age more than|
In this section you will find after the passage five questions of unfinished statements about the passage, each with four suggested answers or ways of finishing. You must choose the one which you think fits best. For each question, 21 to 25, indicate the letter A, B, C or D against the number of the question.
During the teenage years, many young people can at times be difficult to talk to. They often seem to dislike being questioned. They may seem unwilling to talk about their work in school. This is a normal development at this age, though it can be very hard for parents to understand. It is part of becoming independent of teenagers trying to be adult while they are still growing up. Young people are usually more willing to talk if they believe that questions are asked out of real interest and not because people are trying to check up on them.
Parents should do their best to talk to their sons or daughters about school work and future plan but should not push them to talk if they don’t want to. Parents should also watch for the danger signs: some young people in trying to be adult may experiment with sex, drugs, alcohol or smoking. Parents need to watch for any signs of unusual behaviour which may be connected with these and get help if necessary.
21) This passage is taken from a ……
|A/ handbook for parents||B/ school timetable|
|C/ teenage magazine||D/ book for children|
22) Why do adults sometimes find teenagers difficult to talk to ?
A/ because most teenagers are quiet
B/ because teenagers don’t want to talk to other people
C/ because teenagers think adults are not honest.
D/ because most teenagers hate adults
23) When can you expect young people to be more talkative than usual ?
A/ when people talk to them because they are really interested and not just checking on them.
B/ when adults give them a lot of money to spend
C/ when adults talk to them about something other than their work in school
D/ when adults talk to them about sex, alcohol and drugs
24) Some teenagers experiment with drinking and smoking because …….
A/ cigarettes and alcohol are available everywhere
B/ cigarettes and alcohol are cheap
C/ women like smoking and drinking men
D/ they regard them as a mark of adulthood
25) The word BEHAVIOUR in the passage most nearly means
|A/ feeling||B/ manners||C/ activities||D/ reaction|
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
(26) … Browns live in the countryside. Last week when they came up to London, they (27) … their time in seeing as much as (28) … Mrs. Brown was most interested in the stores, especially in Oxford Street, and bought some of (29) … things which she could not find in the shops in the countryside. Their two children, George and Susan, (30) … had never been to London before, were surprised (31) … the crowds everywhere. They enjoyed travelling on the underground and going down the moving stairs (32) … led to the platforms.
One day they went to Hyde Park and walked along on the grass to Kensington Garden (33) … the bright autumn sunshine. It was very quiet here. Only (34) … noise from the streets reminded them that they were still in a city. The (35) … of the tall trees were turning red, brown and yellow; birds were (36) … about; sheep were eating the grass; there were (37) … of flowers; and ducks were swimming about on the Round Pond. George, (38) … hobby was planes and boats, was very much interested in the model boats which boys were sailing (39) … the Pond.
Before the end of the week they had seen a great (40) … They hoped, however, to see more of London on their next visit.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
41) We / go / airport / see / off / last
42) When / arrive / victim / bring / hospital / police
43) wish / have / money / buy / dictionary / yesterday
44) friend / advise / not / go train / time
45) can / manage / write / report / yourself ?
46) Would / mind / lend / motorbike / until / week ?
47) ask / whether / find / solution / problem / yet
48) Brown / only / 30 years / director / big company
49) father / tired / that / go / bed / right / dinner
50) It / until / yesterday / police / capture / robber
C/ Rewrite the following sentences without changing their original meaning. Begin with the given words.
51) Without a passport she couldn’t have left the country.
52) The driver said, “Don’t get off the bus while it’s moving !”
The driver asked the passengers …………………………..
53) Robert opened the drawer and took out a knife.
54) Mr. Brown is going to retire at the end of this year. It was decided.
The fact that …………………………………
55) The owners of newspapers are usually very rich.
The people …………………………………….
Write a composition from 80 to 120 words on this topic:
The reasons why the young people prefer to live in town.