Phần mở đầu
Choose the word or phrase that best completes each sentence
1) The construction of the new road is … winning the support of local residents.
|A/ thanks to||B/ based on||C/ dependent on||D/ responsible to|
2) No matter how angry he was, he would never … to violence.
|A/ resolve||B/ recourse||C/ exert||D/ resort|
3) After leaving school, Nigel decided to … in the army.
|A/ enlist||B/ enrol||C/ register||D/ sign|
4) … a fire, hotel guests are asked to remain calm.
|A/ As a result of||C/ By reason of|
|B/ In the event of||D/ In the time of|
5) When I went into the dining-room next morning, the … of the dinner were still on the table.
|A/ remains||B/ results||C/ reset||D/ relics|
6) I will keep your application … file for the time being.
|A/ in||B/ with||C/ on||D/ at|
7) She … wanted a house overlooking the sea.
|A/ particularly||B/ strongly||C/ essentially||D/ extremely|
8) For centuries Rome was the … power in the Mediterranean.
|A/ immense||B/ superlative||C/ overruling||D/ supreme|
9) I couldn’t tell what time is was because workmen had removed the … of the clock.
|A/ hands||B/ pointers||C/ arms||D/ fingers|
10) Supposing I … to agree to your request, how do you think the other students would feel?
|A/ would||B/ am||C/ were||D/ could|
11) I hope you won’t take … if I tell you the truth.
|A/ annoyance||B/ offence||C/ resentment||D/ irritation|
12) His failure … great disappointment to his parents.
|A/ forced||D/ made||C/ caused||D/ provided|
13) While politicians argue about nuclear weapons, ordinary people are simply concerned … staying alive.
|A/ of||B/ with||C/ for||D/ in|
14) I’m so tired that I can’t take … what you’re saying.
|A/ up||B/ out||C/ in||D/ on|
15) The Committed took just thirty minutes to … the conclusion that the action was necessary.
|A/ judge||B/ make||C/ decide||C/ reach|
16) After his girlfriend left him, George determined never … in love again.
|A/ to fall||B/ falling||C/ for to fall||D/ having fallen|
17) Few pleasures can equal … of a cool drink on a hot day.
|A/ it||B/ that||C/ such||D/ this|
18) He phoned to tell me that he couldn’t come tomorrow because he … to the dentist.
|A/ had gone||B/ was going||C/ will go||D/ went|
19) … his advice, I would never have got the job
|A/ Except||B/ Apart from||C/ But for||D/ As for|
20) No sooner had he sat down to lunch … there was a knock at the door.
|A/ when||B/ that||C/ as||D/ than|
Read the following passage carefully, then choose the best answer to each question.
The search for alternative sources of energy has led in various directions. Many communities are burning garbage and other biological waste products to produce electricity. Converting waste products to gases or oil is also an efficient way to dispose of waste.
Experimental work is being done to derive synthetic fuels from coal, oil shale and coal tars. But to date, that process has proven expensive. Other experiments are underway to harness power with giant windmills. Geothermal power, heat from the earth, is also being tested.
Some experts expect utility companies to revive hydroelectric power derived from streams and rives. Fifty years ago hydroelectric power provided one third of the electricity used in the United States, but today it supplies only four percent. The oceans are another potential source of energy. Scientists are studying ways to convert the energy of ocean currents, tides and waves to electricity. Experiments are also underway to make use of temperature differences in ocean water to produce energy.
21) Which is the best title for the passage?
A/ The Use of Water Products for Energy
B/ The Search for Alternative Sources of Energy
C/ Efficient Ways of Disposing of Waste
D/ New Discoveries in Geothermal Power
22) Fifty years ago one third of electricity in the United States was provided by …
B/ waste products
23) In the second paragraph, the phrase “SYNTHETIC FUELS” could best be raplaced by which of the following:
A/ Biologica fuels
B/ Low burning fuels
C/ Fast burning fuels
D/ Artificially made fuels
24) Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as an alternative source of energy?
A/ Burning of garbage
B/ Geothermal power
C/ Synthetic fuels
25) According to the author, the impracticability of using coal, oil shale and coal tars as sources of energy is due to …
A/ their being time consuming
B/ their being money consuming
C/ the scarcity of sources
D/ the lack of technology
USE OF ENGLISH
A/ Fill each of the numbered blanks in the following passage. Use only ONE word in each space.
Helen packed a small suitcase, said goodbye to her mother and hurried out of the house to (26) … the bus to the station. There was no one (27) … waiting at the bus stop, so it looked as if a bus had just left. Helen looked at her watch anxiously: it was already two o’clock. Her train left at two-thirty, and since it would (28) … at least twenty minutes to reach the station, she did not have much time to (29) … even if a bus came along at once.
Just then a taxi came slowly down the road. Helen knew that the (30) … to the station was at least five shillings, which was more than she could (31) … but she quickly made up her (32) … that it would be well (33) … the extra expense in order to be sure of catching her train. So she stopped the taxi and got in. She told the driver that she had to catch the train which left at half past two. The man nodded and said that he would take a short (34) … to get her to the station in good time.
All went well until, just as they were coming out of a side-street into the (35) … road that led to the station, the taxi ran (36) … a car. There was a loud crash and Helen was thrown (37) … so violently that she hit her head on the front seat.
Both drivers got out and began shouting (38) … each other. Helen got out as (39) … to ask them to stop quarrelling, but (40) … of them took any notice of her at all.
B/ GUIDED SENTENCE BUILDING
Build a complete sentence with the given words.
Dear Mr. Brown,
41) I be happy/ get / letter / offer job / your company.
42) You / not tell / when / want me / start work / for you.
43) My present employer / expect me / stay / him / end month.
44) We think / about buy / house / office.
45) My wife / be anxious / find / good school / children / attend.
46) She worry / not be able / continue / study / same subjects.
47) They be/ secondary school this year / study harder.
48) Let hope / problems / not take / long solve.
49) Please / write me / let know / soon possible.
50) I look forward / start work / you.
C/ Rewrite each of the following sentences in such a way that it means exactly the same as the sentence printed above it.
51) I had only just put the phone down when the boss rang back.
52) My mother was the most warm-hearted person I’ve ever known.
53) They never made us do anything we didn’t want to do.
54) The patient recovered more rapidly than expected.
The patient made ………………………….
55) My boss works better when he’s pressed for time.
The less …………………………………
You need a job for three months in the summer, and you have seen an advertisement in a newspaper about a temporary job as a tourist guide in your town or city.
Write a letter applying for the post.