Phần mở đầu
Choose the correct sentence (Hãy chọn câu đúng).
|1)||A. Employees say the new chief of accountant is honest, force and sociable.|
|B. Employees say the new chief of accountant is honest, forceful, and sociable.|
|C. Employees say the new chief of accountant is honesty, forceful, and social.|
|D. Employees say the new chief of accountant is honesty, forceless, and sociably.|
|2)||A. He likes skiing, running, hiking, and taking pictures.|
|B. He likes to ski, run, hike, and take pictures.|
|C. He likes skiing, running, hiking, and to take pictures.|
|D. A and B|
|3)||A. Electricity is used to light, heat, and cool buildings.|
|B. Electricity is used to light, heat, and coolant buildings.|
|C. Electricity is used to light, hot, and cool buildings.|
|D. Electricity is used to light, hot, and coolant buildings.|
|4)||A. They can enjoy walks through our grounds, a swim in our pool, and eating in our restaurant.|
|B. They can enjoy walking through our grounds, a swimming in our pool, and eating in our restaurant.|
|C. They can enjoy a walk through the grounds, a swim in the pool, and a meal in our restaurant.|
|D. B and C|
|5)||A. He needs to do the homework, write a letter, and his father wants him to mail a package.|
|B. He needs to do the homework, write a letter, and mail a package.|
|C. He needs to do the homework, writing a letter, and mailing a package.|
|D. He needs to make the homework, write a letter, and his father wants him to mail a package.|
Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ được gạch dưới (A, B, C hoặc D) cần phải điều chỉnh lại cho đúng).
6) The historic (A) Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibited discrimination against (B) minorities in voting, education, employ (C), and public facilities like buses (D) and theaters.
7) Coral (A) will (B) only grow where (C) the water is clear, warmth (D), and shallow.
8) The role of blood is to take oxygen to the cells, to remove (A) waste products, kill harmful (B) microbes, and carry hormonal messages (C) to and from (D) the cells.
9) Herman Melville’s novel (A) Moby Dick describes the dangers (B), difficult, and often violent (C) life aboard (D) a whaling ship.
10) F. Scott Fitzgerald’s novel The Great Gatsby is about (A) the pursuit (B) of wealthy (C), status, and love (D) in the 1920’s.
11) Metals can be beaten (A) into thin sheets (B), melted and poured into (C) molds, or drawing (D) into fine wire.
12) Courses are offered (A) in fall (B), spring (C), and (D) in summer.
13) A migraine is an intense headache characterized (A) by pulsing pain, nausea, dizziness, double vision (B), and by being sensitive (C) to light and sound (D).
14) What people who suffer from chronic medical problems (A) need most from family, friends, and those they work with (B) are compassion (C) and support (D).
15) He told her to get to the hotel (A) by eight o’clock, check with the concierge (B) for messages, leave her luggage (C) at the front desk, and waiting for him (D) in the lobby.
Choose the word, phrase, or clause (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the sentence. (Hãy chọn từ, cụm từ hoặc mệnh đề A, B, C hoặc D thích hợp nhất cho khoảng trống của câu).
16) Denver is the financial, commercial, and …. Of Colorado.
|A. center of administering||B. center|
|C. administrative center||D. capital|
17) Most species of animals that live in caves cannot see, so they must rely on heightened senses of …, smell, and touch.
|A. hear||B. to hear|
|C. hearing||D. heard|
18) As coal mines became deeper, the problems of draining water, bringing in fresh air, and … to the surface increased.
|A. ore was transported||B. to transport ore|
|C. how ore was transported||D. transporting ore|
19) Desert plants have deep roots, tough skins, small leaves or spines, and…
|A. ways special for water storing.|
|B. special ways of storing water.|
|C. storing water in special ways.|
|D. store water in special ways.|
20) Successful farmers today must be experts in not only agriculture but also …., finance, and accounting.
|A. in market||B. market|
|C. marketing||D. to market|
21) Cheddar cheese, which is hard and …., can vary in colour from white to deep yellow and in flavour from mild to sharp.
|A. smoothly texturing||B. with a smooth texture|
|C. smooth-textured||D. smooth-texture|
22) A movie producer is responsible not only for hiring artists and technicians to work for the film but also … to finance the movie.
|A. for raising funds||B. to raise funds|
|C. the source of funds||D. where the funds come from|
23) She became the first woman to enter, graduate from, and … at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
|A. teach||B. a teacher|
|C. who taught||D. to teach|
24) Part of Jane Colden’s work involved collecting plant specimens, cataloging plants, and … with other botanists.
|A. exchanging correspondence|
|B. her exchange of correspondence|
|C. correspondence exchanging|
|D. correspondence was exchanging|
25) His responsibilities were to manage the PR department and … trade shows.
|A. attending||B. to attend|
|C. attendance||D. attended|
26) She spent most of her time talking, …
|A. shouting, and apologizing.|
|B. shouting, and to apologize.|
|C. to shout, and to apologize.|
|D. to shout, and apologizing.|
27) This is the story that David wrote, …
|A. that I like, and was reviewed by Dorothy.|
|B. I like, and was review by Dorothy.|
|C. that I like, and that Dorothy reviewed.|
|D. that I like, and Dorothy reviewed.|
28) The duties of the job included baby-sitting, …
|A. house-cleaning, and to prepare the meals.|
|B. house-cleaning, and the preparation of the meals.|
|C. to clean the house, and to prepare the meals.|
|D. house-cleaning, and preparing the meals.|
29) Too many students come to college …, or to put off having to go to work.
|A. to have fun, finding a wife or husband.|
|B. to have fun, to find a wife or husband.|
|C. having fun, finding a wife or husband.|
|D. having fun, to find a wife or husband.|
30) She can never find her notebook, …
|A. her calculator, pen, and her watch.|
|B. calculator, her pen, and her watch.|
|C. her calculator, her pen, and her watch.|
|D. calculator, pen, and her watch.|