Phần mở đầu
Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C, or D) that needs correcting. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ được gạch dưới [ A, B, C hoặc D] cần phải điều chỉnh lại cho đúng).
1) The boat that (A) it (B) is barely visible (C) on the horizon is ours (D).
2) What (A) are you (B) asking from (C) me sounds (D) unreasonable.
3) This (A) sweater, that (B) my mother made (C) for me, is too (D) small for me now.
4) Mrs. Scott said that (A) whoever (B) she decides to hire (C) will help lay out (D) the newsletter.
5) She talked about (A) the men and (B) the novels which (C) interested her (D).
6) In 1647 the colony of Massachusetts passed a law that (A) by requiring (B) every town with (C) at least fifty families to have (D) an elementary school.
7) I want to see (A) if are there (B) any letters (C) this (D) morning.
8) His new car, which for (A) he paid $9,000, has already (B) had to be (C) repaired (D).
9) The (A) student to (B) that (C) I speak is my younger (D) brother.
10) A sugar solution (A) begins to ferment (B) sometime (C) oxygen is absent (D).
11) Liquids take the shape (A) of any container (B) in that (C) they are (D) placed.
12) Medical researchers (A) have long been seeking (B) a cure for (C) a disease who (D) takes thousands of lives every year.
13) This window, that (A) was broken (B) by a madman yesterday, will (C) have to be repaired (D).
14) The teacher gave whom (A) presented (B) an oral report extra (C) credit (D).
15) He was elected (A) by a large majority, who (B) is what (C) most people had expected (D).
Choose the word or phrase (A, B, C, or D) that best fits the blank space in the sentence. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ [A, B, C hoặc D] thích hợp nhất cho khoảng trống của câu).
16) The increasing heat ____ the journey unpleasant
|A. which made||B. it made|
|C. made||D. making|
17) The only person ______ was a patrolman.
|A. was visible||B. visible|
|C. which visible||D. who visible|
18) David couldn’t go to work _______ he was sick in bed.
|A. because of||B. because|
|C. because that||D. it is because|
19) The type of clothing people wear tells others a lot about ______
|A. they are who||B. who they are|
|C. who are they||D. are they who|
20) _____ who became the first woman to be elected to the council.
|A. It was Jennifer Grant|
|B. Jennifer Grant|
|C. Jennifer Grant, when she|
|D. That Jennifer Grant|
21) _____ comes, he brings a friend.
|A. David||B. David, who|
|C. Whenever David||D. That David|
22) The scene ______ the heroine’s secret is the best.
|A. that it reveals||B. that reveals|
|C. reveals||D. it reveals|
23) I do not know ______
|A. where does be come from|
|B. where he came from|
|C. where did he come from|
|D. he came from|
24) This encyclopaedia, ______ the second volume is missing, is out of date.
|A. which of||B. which|
|C. which in||D. of which|
25) _______, Dorothy gave a wonderful speech.
|A. Although she nervous|
|B. Although was nervous|
|C. Although nervous|
|D. Although she was|
26) How _____ remains a complete mystery.
|A. does the prisoner escape|
|B. did the prisoner escape|
|C. the prisoner escaped|
|D. was escaped|
27) On a mountainside, the height above ____ it is too cold and windy for trees to grow is called the tree line or timberline.
|A. where||B. which|
|C. that||D. what|
28) They worried about ______ Death Valley.
|A. how do they cross||B. how did they cross|
|C. how they would cross||D. they would cross how|
29) _____ cause certain diseases such as malaria was not known until the early twentieth century.
|A. That mosquitos||B. Mosquitos|
|C. Since mosquitos||D. Mosquitos which|
30) We had a wonderful holiday ____ the bad weather.
|A. despite||B. because of|
|C. although||D. though|