Phần mở đầu
Choose the word, phrase, or clause (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the sentence. (Hãy chọn từ, cụm từ hoặc mệnh đề “A, B, C hoặc D” thích hợp nhất cho khoảng trống của câu).
1) I told John and David that … should be here by noon.
|A/ they||B/ them|
|C/ their||D/ he|
2) My parents gave William and … a surprise party.
|A/ he||B/ they|
|C/ me||D/ I|
3) His college just announced that …. Will raise tuition next year.
|A/ they||B/ them|
|C/ it||D/ he|
4) Several other letter-writers said that … had no idea how to come up with the extra money.
|A/ he or her||B/ him or her|
|C/ them||D/ they|
5) Dorothy sealed the letter; then she tore … open again.
|A/ her||B/ him|
|C/ it||D/ them|
6) A waterspout is a tornado … over an ocean or large lake.
|A/ occurs||B/ it occurs|
|C/ that occurs||D/ that it occurs|
7) The best way for children to learn physics is for them to perform experiments ….
|A/ himself||B/ herself|
|C/ itself||D/ themselves|
8) I saw the ad in the newspaper, but now …
|A/ I can’t find it.|
|B/ I can’t find them.|
|C/ I can’t find their|
|D/ I can’t find the newspaper with the ad.|
9) The dog suddenly came upon the cat, ….
|A/ which let out a low snarl.|
|B/ and let out a low snarl.|
|C/ and it let out a low snarl.|
|D/ A or B|
10) She was a sculptor …works typically consisted of large wooden box-like structures situated in complex arrangements.
|A/ whose||B/ of whom|
|C/ of her||D/ her|
11) Manned flights to Jupiter will not be planned until 2010 …. that is yet to be developed.
|A/ because it requires costly technology|
|B/ because of they require costly technology|
|C/ because they require costly technology|
|D/ because of it requires costly technology|
12) … almost always find someone who speaks English or French.
|A/ When visiting a foreign country, you can|
|B/ When one is visiting a foreign country, you can|
|C/ During one’s visit to a foreign country, you may|
|D/ While one is on a visit to a foreign country, you can|
Choose the underlined word or phrase (A, B, C or D) that needs correcting. (Hãy chọn từ hoặc cụm từ được gạch dưới “A, B, C hoặc D” cần phải điều chỉnh lại cho đúng).
13) The news (A) stunned people (B) over the country (C). David said that they (D) was the first good news in a long time.
14) After the storm, every (A) tree and bush looked as if (B) they (C) had been coated with (D) glass.
15) David was very angry with (A) John, but no one (B) knew what (C) he (D) had said.
16) Folk music of many (A) countries often uses (B) a scale which (C) is called “pentatonic” because they (D) comprise of only five notes.
17) When (A) babies are arround 15 months old, they (B) can pick up objects (C) and put themselves (D) into small containers.
18) Both my parents (A) work hard at their jobs (B), but neither of they (C) can afford to pay so much (D) money for my education.
19) Luckily, however, the jewelry company where (A) I worked part-time last summer promised that they (B) would (C) give me (D) more hours this summer.
20) Costume jewelry is made of (A) plastic, wood, or (B) inexpensive metal, and they (C) may be set with semiprecious or (D) imitation stones.
21) My family (A) does all they (B) can to pay (C) the rent and grocery bill each (D) month.
22) When William arrived (A) at his office, John told him (B) that he had been astonished (C) to learn from the chief accountant that he (D) had been fired.
23) The Association of South-Est Asian Nations (A) presented (B) a list of topics (C) on which they (D) asked for discussion and negotiation.
24) His family aren’t (A) usually supportive (B), but it (C) rallied around him (D) this time.
25) Because slaves (A) were considered property, the group of scientists (B) from the historical society (C) was able to find the information they (D) needed in those records.
Choose the correct sentence (Hãy chọn câu đúng)
|A/ The story was exciting, but the author didn’t explain what happened at the end.|
|B/ The story was exciting, but they didn’t explain what happened at the end.|
|C/ The story was exciting, but you didn’t explain what happened at the end.|
|D/ The story was exciting, but she or he didn’t explain what happened at the end.|
|A/ The jury took a long time before they reported a deadlock.|
|B/ The jury took a long time before it reported a deadlock.|
|C/ The jury took a long time before the jury reported a deadlock.|
|D/ The jury took a long time but it disagreed on a number of counts.|
|A/ I told John and David that they should be here at 9:00 p.m.|
|B/ The house was new, and the builder hoped to sell them soon.|
|C/ The only person we spoke to was yourself.|
|D/ Someone has lost her wallet.|
|A/ If I have the time, you will visit her.|
|B/ If Helen is prepared for her exam, she can pass it.|
|C/ If I have the time, one will visit her.|
|D/ If Helen is prepared to her exam, one can pass it.|
|A/ Dorothy told Helen that she had been elected president.|
|B/ Dorothy and Helen fell down, and she broke her leg.|
|C/ Dorothy and Helen fell down, and Helen broke her leg.|
|D/ Dorothy and Helen fell down, and she broke their legs.|